New ARIN ipv6 allocation policies

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Sep 5 10:39:32 CEST 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Gert Doering wrote:

Hi,

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:55:56AM +0200, Andrew Alston wrote:
>> I just have one question here, what about those places that wish to
>> develop, wish to move forward, and have no OPTION but to tunnel.  I'll
>> openly admit that I run trans-continental tunnels to two continents to
>> announce my v6 space.  Why do I do it that way?  Because there is *no
>> one* on the continent doing native v6, infact, my tunnelled v6
>> connectivity is to my knowledge the largest active v6 deployment in
>> sub-saharan Africa.
>
> There's a difference between "operating the only tunnel that brings
> v6 onto a continent" and "ignoring the available 'local' options, and
> messing other people's routing up due to carelessly announcing things
> back and forth across long-distance tunnels".
>
> You don't fall into the second category :)

thanks, Gert, for saying what I failed to say in detail.
But it wasn't my intention to start a discussion on the operational
implications of tunnels.

This thread was about the operational implications of PI/multihoming
today and in the future.

Perhaps three more things to think about that had been noted in this
thread:
1) Why are we talking about 'details' like PI when it's not even
    possible to get native IPv6 connectivity to an entire continent?
    Is IPv6 really at the stage to be widely deployed for business
    then?

2) Let's assume ARIN will allocate a /32 for those PI blocks,
    what will happen if the other RIRs do the same? Ever though
    about that and the possible growth about your rib?
    Considering that you can get a /19 v4 PI today easily you can
    expect that for IPv6 something similar will happen sooner or
    later once PI is available. Maybe not a /19 v6 PI but PI for
    everything you may need/want it for. Think about a 2nd /32
    from each RIR or even more.

3) Filterig routes received from an IPv6 upstream these days
    with a strict filter one only accepts about 90% of the prefixes
    (610 of 671 atm here) from the DFZv6 because the others are
    outside the allocation range etc. You can have a look at a sample
    documented cisco prefix-list from 6/6/6 at [1] in case you accept
    more prefixes;-) Will those more specifics go away once we'd have
    PI or will people start announcing more and more /35 if we already
    have more than enough of /48s?

/bz