New ARIN ipv6 allocation policies

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun Sep 3 20:09:16 CEST 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> The problem with a swamp is that it forces people to carry more routes in
> their routers than necessary, irrespective the amount of address space in the
> swamp.

no. there are other options with one of those be:
filter out all prefixes of the PI block from the very first day and
see what will happen who else will be and who'll complain and when.

I really hope that a lot of people out there will do it at one point
sooner or later. Sometimes people have to be remembered to learn from
history.

It's not that IPv4 was what it is now from day one or after a decade.
Why are people trying to put their "IPv4 world" directly into IPv6?
Why should we just throw more memory, faster PUs and bigger machines
at the problem again?
Why are people still doing multi-continent ipv6 tunnels to announce
a prefix to give someone 'connectivity'?
When talking to people about PI/multihoming they all ask "Do you have
alternatives? You do not think shim6 is?" Well, why are the same people
thinking distributing prefixes and doing that via BGP is what we need?
Why do the same people still not know about most extension headers?
Why are we all told that "Now is the time IPv6 MUST come and be
available and used everywhere?" Ever thought of why this all is the
case?

We have some months left until we'll really urgently need to be
able to switch everything over and legacy IP can start to die but
we should take the time doing things rationally so that IPv6 will be
able to grow as old as IPv4 will.

Just my 2ct.

 	This bikeshed should be painted lavender.