New ARIN ipv6 allocation policies

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sun Sep 3 08:24:03 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, David Barak wrote:
> --- David Conrad <david.conrad at icann.org> wrote:
>> As we've learned from IPv4, I fear swamps are
>> forever...
>
> But so what if they are?  ... At that point,
> you're at what, 35K unique routes?   What equipment
> will have trouble with this?

Two things:

  1) Because of "everyone else has it, we must also be able to get it"
mentality.  Else they'll threaten with suing based on restraint on
trade and other ludicurous reasons.  A precedent on creating swamps
sets pressure to continue to make the swamp even "swampier" (e.g., by
relaxing allocation rules even more, not even trying to get the act
together, etc.)

  2) 35K unique sites could result in a lot of dynamicity in the
routing tables.  I wonder if you have seen BGP Update report? [1]
Multiply 35K by, for example, 500 or 1,000 updates per day, and you've
got quite a bit of churn at your hands -- churn that you can do
nothing about because folks at DFZ believe they have the right to do
anything they want with their advertisements.

[1] http://bgpupdates.potaroo.net/instability/bgpupd.html