Trouble reaching whois.ripe.net and www.ietf.org

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Oct 18 07:57:49 CEST 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Niels Bakker wrote:
> Perhaps connectivity would be better if other networks didn't filter.

I'd also be better if other networks (except their peers with who they
may have private arrangements) filtered.

When considering "everyone should accept everything and it'd just
work" and "more uniform strict filtering would discourage RIPE NCC and
others from even trying to leak longer prefixes globally
("stupidity")", I'd personally pick the latter but YMMV.

>  Or they could set no-export but then they'd be bitten by networks
> that reset all communities inbound.  In the end you're always
> dependent on other people's networks to deliver the bits to your
> border routers.

That would be a good first step.  Maybe they just forgot that IOS
doesn't send even well-known communitites such as NO-EXPORT unless you
specify "send-community".