Trouble reaching whois.ripe.net and www.ietf.org

Niels Bakker niels=cluenet at bakker.net
Wed Oct 18 00:25:37 CEST 2006

* nick-lists at netability.ie (Nick Hilliard) [Tue 17 Oct 2006, 22:17 CEST]:
>>Or they could set no-export but then they'd be bitten by networks that
>>reset all communities inbound.
>According to JHMA, the /42 is indeed tagged as no-export.

I just reset their session after making doubly sure it was configured
for communities, but:

Rtr1#sh bgp ipv6 2001:610:240::/42
BGP routing table entry for 2001:610:240::/42, version 2289519
Paths: (4 available, best #1, table Global-IPv6-Table)
Flag: 0x820
  Not advertised to any peer
  3333, (aggregated by 3333 193.0.0.56), (received & used)
    2001:7F8:1::A500:3333:1 from 2001:7F8:1::A500:3333:1 (193.0.0.56)
      Origin IGP, localpref 100, valid, external, best

I don't see any communities there.  I get that path also from another
peer with identical configuration, and that does get some communities
set by that peer, so I have reason to suspect that AS3333 does not set
any communities when announcing that route to its peers.

>All in all, I'd say that RIPE's v6 reachability problems are a classic
>example of why PI6 space is necessary.  I wonder will they renumber.

Not much hard-to-renumber infrastructure in there yet, as far as I know
- no IANA to petition, no /etc/namedb/named.root or /etc/bind/db.root
(pick your poison) to replace on each and every machine worldwide...

	-- Niels.

--
This message shall not be carried in aircraft on combat missions or
when there is a reasonable chance of its falling into the hands of