Best practices for routing 6to4 addresses

Carlos Friacas cfriacas at fccn.pt
Tue Oct 17 18:28:52 CEST 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Daniel G. Kluge wrote:

> Hello there,

Hello,

> I was wondering if there is some consensus on how to deal with 6to4
> (2002::/16) addresses (and of course this applies to a certain extent to
> Teredo).
>
> There are three ways how to configure this in an IPv6 network, and I think
> I've seen all three:
> 1. Configure a 6to4 relay on each router (which has to be dual-stacked) and
> use the local interface as a static route.
> 2. Have only one central 6to4 relay which is advertised internally (and maybe
> further).

I'm doing 2. the further announcement goes as far as our local IX peers -
it's a small IX, so kind of hard to spot it...

> 3. Pray that you learn 2002::/16 over one of your peers or transit providers
> (and fail - hello AS16215)
>
> What's the way to go? (Apart from not using 6to4 or any other automated
> transition mechanism)

Imho, that's a good idea when _possible_ transition mechanisms really suck
bigtime..... i.e. "no IPv6 is better than really bad IPv6"(TM)

> Cheers,
> -daniel (Great, www.ipv6tf.org seems to be reachable by IPv4 only)

No... works from here (through GEANT +Telia +Virgin_Radio_UK), and still
using the *experimental* address space.
Also tried with http and it shows back my v6 address...

Best Regards,

./Carlos                                               Skype: cf916183694