6BONE shutdown

Sascha Lenz slz at baycix.de
Tue May 9 12:59:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 9-mei-2006, at 12:10, Gert Doering wrote:
>
>>> Why should I spend time updating my configurations to get rid of my
>>> 3ffe:2500:310::/48 block?
>
>> Because you are a good netizen, and will not use address space that
>> is not assigned to you.  (Which is usually called "address  highjacking")
>
> It was assigned to me by my ISP and so far they haven't asked me to
> give it back. I don't think I'd be under any obligation to do so if
> they asked anyway.

i think http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3701.txt is pretty simple to understand:

"It is anticipated that under this phaseout plan the 6bone will cease
   to operate by June 6, 2006, with all 6bone prefixes fully reclaimed
   by the IANA."

This superseeds "your ISP" or any other claims.
(as long as IANA reclaims them by then :-)

> But that's not the point. The point is: why spend time getting rid of
> 6bone address space? There won't be any new 6bone space users in the
> future and the existing ones don't get in the way.

They are no longer valid, so they are considered bogon.

> I foresee interesting discussions 10 - 20 years from now when you  guys
> want to turn off IPv4.  :-)

That's a totally different story.
IPv4 Prefixes are not allocated/assigned as TEST Prefixes.

6Bone 3FFE::/16 Space always was a Test only.

See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2471.txt

"This document describes an allocation plan for IPv6 addresses to be
   used in testing IPv6 prototype software.  These addresses are
   temporary and will be reclaimed in the future.  Any IPv6 system using
   these addresses will have to renumber at some time in the future.
   These addresses will not to be routable in the Internet other than
   for IPv6 testing."

So you were fully aware that those addresses would be reclaimed at some
time from the beginning.