DNAME issues (was Re: ip6.int deprecation)

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Mon May 8 18:42:40 CEST 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 09:26:21AM -0700, David Conrad wrote:

> Pointers to any discussions on concrete problems with the use of
> DNAME in any context would be greatly appreciated.

I stand corrected, it seems to be the DNS server of Windows, see

http://wiki.coralcdn.org/wiki.php/Main/FAQ#SERVFAIL

I have no idea whether Windows DNS servers are widespread enough for
this to cause problems. There is another good explaination in the
mailing list archive

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/coral-announce/2004q4/000003.html

and then there apparently was a cosmetical bug in glibc, see for example
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=305714 . I remember
having those too about a year ago on my Debian box when I experimented
with a faked ip6.int zone with the appropriate DNAME record loaded into
my resolvers.

IMHO decent support for DNAME would be great in general, but in this
particular case I would vote for ripping ip6.int completely instead of
replacing it with the appropriate DNAME. Products still using it have to
be fixed.

Regards,
Bernhard