ip6.int deprecation

Sascha Lenz slz at baycix.de
Mon May 8 14:55:59 CEST 2006

Hi,

Pim van Pelt wrote:
> Hoi collegues,
>
> I have heard DNS operators are planning on removing ip6.int from their
> resolvers (ie by plugging ip6.int into an empty zone on their recursors).
> What are your thoughts on this? I am considering removing ip6.int also
> in the same way, because I think it can take a long time for the parent
> of .int to remove ip6 delegation (if they are even considering this is
> unknown to me) and for sure it might take a long time for the ip6.int
> folks to remove children from their zone.
>
> I'm interested in knowing what your plans are, so if you could get back
> to me or the list, that'd be great!

first of all, i'd say the ip6.int zone removal(s) will be pretty fast on
the top level...
Nevertheless, i already removed all delegations from the RIPE-db and
deleted all zones from the nameservers.

Some others put a fake ip6.int zone in place with a single DNAME record
pointing towards ip6.arpa.
This might prevent some annoying resolver issues if you still have
clients which look up ip6.int inside your network.