Outdated bogon filtering seems pervasive..

james at towardex.com james at towardex.com
Fri Jun 2 21:33:27 CEST 2006

Hi,

It seems reachability of new 26xx:: blocks seems to be quite low as opposed to
plain old 2001:: blocks.  Are many people still running on outdated bogon
filters?  I contacted some ASes that can't reach 2610:: block, and the ones
that have responded and working on a fix so far all have outdated bogon filters.

GRH prefix compare:
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/compare/?when=now&year=2006&month=06&day=02&hour=21&a=+2001%3A13f0%3A%3A%2F32&b=2610%3A78%3A%3A%2F32&i=&format=html

sorry for long url, if you prefer text output:

8<--
grh.sixxs.net> s b 2001:13f0::/32
BGP routing table entry for 2001:13f0::/32
Paths: (76 available, best #55, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
-->8

vs.

8<--
grh.sixxs.net> s b 2610:78::/32
BGP routing table entry for 2610:78::/32
Paths: (46 available, best #36, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
-->8

I don't know how many of you have blocks out of the new 26** or 2A** range, but
for those who do have, are you seeing similar reachability problems too?

Thank you,
james