Customer IPv6 range assignments.

Sascha Lenz slz at baycix.de
Thu Jul 27 11:42:12 CEST 2006

Hi,

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 03:40:46PM -0400, Stephen Fulton wrote:
>> According to the ARIN documentation we've read, the standard assignment
>> to end-users (whether a single person or a large corporation) should be
>> a /48.  Regardless of the amount of address space available with IPv6,
>> this seems like an awful waste of space.  I'm curious if this policy is
>> still current, or have I mis-interpreted the documentation?  Would we be
>> breaking rules if we assigned a /64 or /56 to a small client?
>
> You're still thinking "IPv4".
>
> The IPv6 way of getting things done is "don't argue, no hassles, no
> discussions about assignment sizes" - and the math allows /48s to
> every customer.
>
> (There are ongoing discussions in all regions on whether to add /56
> as an assignment size category, but even then it's no way mandatory -
> if an ISP wants, he can always hand out /48s, with no questions asked)

folks, as already mentioned in the thread, this is only about
_recommendations_, what you do is up to you in the end.

I currently tend to Assign /48s to Endusers, which subnet their /48 to
/56's internally, works fine. And certainly no need to change that due
to "IP space might run out" (well, ok, my Allocation probably but that's
a different thing :-) )

If anyone feels better with assigning /56 to their customers, just do
it. But think about it in the long term (IPv6 is really not quite out in
the field yet).
The only real differece might be, that /48s PROBABLY, MIGH, SOMEWHERE be
allowed in BGP routing tables, /56 most likely never ever outside an AS.