Customer IPv6 range assignments.

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Wed Jul 26 23:39:44 CEST 2006

We take a slightly different approach, assigning V6 to EDU institutions within .za.

Our rule is simple, we assign /48s on /44 boundaries, and where institutions have more than one physical campus they can have more than a /48.  So if I look at some of our institutions where they have 4 campuses for example, I'd assign them a /46.  The maximum allocation an  institution can have is a /44 though.

We do this to allow for better route aggregation within the institutions inter-campus networks, allowing them to assign /64s per lab/network segment, and aggregating back to a single /48 per physically diverse campus.

I know this strategy is a little contrarversial, but its certainly worked well for us so far.

Andrew Alston
TENET - Chief Technology Officer