Customer IPv6 range assignments.

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed Jul 26 21:52:50 CEST 2006

On 26-Jul-2006, at 15:40, Stephen Fulton wrote:

> According to the ARIN documentation we've read, the standard
> assignment to end-users (whether a single person or a large
> corporation) should be a /48.  Regardless of the amount of address
> space available with IPv6, this seems like an awful waste of
> space.  I'm curious if this policy is still current, or have I mis-
> interpreted the documentation?  Would we be breaking rules if we
> assigned a /64 or /56 to a small client?

I seem to think you can assign a /64 in the case that you're sure
that only one subnet will ever be required, and a /128 in the case
that you're sure that precisely one interface address will ever be
required. However, I haven't read the v6 assignment policies at ARIN
for a year or so, and things may have changed.

When you're used to justifying the need for address space with IPv4,
the idea of assigning a /48 to a user who might well only need to
number one subnet seems ridiculous. However, when you further
consider how much address space there is in IPv6, it doesn't look (to
me) like a dangerous strategy.

 From many angles, fixed-length /48 assignment to end users is
classful addressing. Although it can seem initially horrifying to say
so, classful addressing had a lot going for it.

The principle thing wrong with classful addressing in IPv4 was that
it resulted in assignment waste which was not sustainable given the
number of IPv4 addresses available in a 32-bit word, and the rapid
growth in end users.

With 79228162514264337593543950336 as much address space available in
IPv6 compared to IPv4, my view is that the convenience and simplicity
associated with classful addressing far outweighs the danger of
address exhaustion.

Others have suggested that some boundary between 48 and 64 could be
chosen which would facilitate fixed-length assignments to customers
without incurring so much waste. I agree with those people, but I
don't see the reason for making the change given that the 48-bit
boundary has some history and has seen some deployment.

The mileage of others definitely varies.

Joe