Global IPv6 policy question

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Mon Jul 24 23:24:50 CEST 2006

At 12:13 AM 25/07/2006, Tim Chown wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 06:20:08PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> > On 21-jul-2006, at 17:42, Kevin Loch wrote:
> >
> > >/12 seems to be rather large given the unlikely possibility of
> > >a /13 assignment being made any time soon.  The largest
> > >assignments being made so far have been /19, and only
> > >two ever.
> >
> > >A year's supply of the largest expected assignment size would
> > >be a good target.  /16 should be more than enough.
> >
> > /12 makes for 512 blocks under 2000::/3 so it doesn't seem too
> > excessive, even if a bit longer would also be sufficient.

Some folk on this list may be regular attendees of the open address
policy meetings hosted by the Regional Internet Registries, and for
these folk this topic will all sound very familiar, no doubt. In
formulating this address policy proposal within these forums, this
topic was considered in some detail. Rather than rehash all the
material here (for which some of you may be grateful to be spared the
agony of such a rerun!) those who are interested may find it useful
to trawl back through the sessions of past RIR meetings where this
topic has been considered.  In this context, I presented some work
looking at simulations of registry activity in a V6 registry and
looked at the impact of various policies in terms of the ability of
the registry to support coherent (non-fragmented) allocation windows
for ISPs and LIRs across the full sequence of initial and subsequent
(window expansion) allocations. An unpublished draft on this topic
can be found at
http://www.potaroo.net/drafts/draft-huston-ip6-allocation-unit-00.html
The aim of this exercise was to avoid the non-terminating qualitative
discussion of "/x looks better than /y as an allocation unit for me"
and instead look at the outcomes of choosing a particular value in
quantitative terms of the ability for the allocation registry to
avoid inherent address block fragmentation through discontinuous
allocations. This probability of fragmentation of downstream
allocations is a function of the allocation unit size, particularly
if the allocation algorithm is based on the sparse rate-modified
allocation algorithm. In any case I would urge those who are
interested in this topic, who have not already done so, to spend some
time looking back at the previous discussions of this policy proposal
in the online archives of the open address policy sessions.