Global IPv6 policy question

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Fri Jul 21 17:42:28 CEST 2006

David Conrad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IANA has been asked to provide input to ICANN's board on the
> RIR-consensus global IPv6 allocation policy (see
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-14jul06.htm for
> details), so I'm looking to understand what folks in the v6 operational
> community think.
>
> One question would be the choice of /12 as the minimum allocation size
> for IANA to allocate IPv6 addresses to the RIRs.  Do folks consider this

/12 seems to be rather large given the unlikely possibility of
a /13 assignment being made any time soon.  The largest
assignments being made so far have been /19, and only
two ever.

A year's supply of the largest expected assignment size would
be a good target.  /16 should be more than enough.

- Kevin