3ffe, was: 6to4 strangeness

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Feb 14 18:44:14 CET 2006

On 14-feb-2006, at 18:30, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

>> This means that for them, or rather, their 6to4 gateway, my
>> 2001:1af8::/32 address is unreachable, but 3ffe:2500::/32 works. WTF?

> 	I guess that "foot in the grave", zombie IPv6 network
> 	prefix 3ffe:: is -NOT- going to go quietly into that
> 	good night.  :)  dispite administrative efforts to kill
> 	it off.

> 	i'd recommend that you never try to reach anything using the 3ffe
> 	space ever again, since you don't want to believe its being
> 	used.

Yes, that makes sense. Do away with what works and switch to what
doesn't. (Granted, just in this particular case, but still.)

On a completely unrelated note: as I said before, I'm keeping my
6bone prefix and have it published in the DNS for at least
www.muada.com until it doesn't work anymore. This is a small protest
against the nonsensical "we invented something new for no good
reason, now go spend lots of money implementing it" * attitue that
prevails within the IETF from time to time.

I am of course in no way recommending this for production stuff.

Iljitsch

* The most egregious example of this is of course the whole
RFC1886/2874/3152/3596 debacle.