v6 peering at PAIX/Palo Alto

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Tue Aug 29 16:58:29 CEST 2006

Switch and Data recently started distributing addresses assigned out
of 2001:540:d::/48 for use in v6 peering on their Bay Area fabric
(exposed at 529 Bryant/Palo Alto, 200 Paul/San Francisco, etc),
replacing the 6bone prefix that had been in use there for a long time.

Trouble is S&D didn't specify a prefix length when they told people
their addresses. I know some people who have assumed a /64. S&D
themselves insist that the correct prefix length is a /48.

Seems to me that if I was S&D, I'd be carving one /64 out of that /48
for each exchange point fabric I operated. Perhaps they have other
plans, though (or aspirations to attract more than 2^64 peers to
their Bay Area fabric :-)

So anyway, just interested -- how many people here assumed that the
prefix length was /64?

What operational damage might result from a mixture of routers
configured with their PAIX address variously in a /48 or a /64? Will
it make any practical difference to anything?