ASN's and Prefixes missing from IPv6 table

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Apr 27 09:15:43 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:12:23AM +0200, Roger Jorgensen wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Gert Doering wrote:
> > Evidence suggests that the "ghost bug" is really a Cisco IOS bug, and
> > still present in pretty recent IOS versions.
>
> and it only affect IPv6, not IPv4?

"We" (as in "anybody who is looking at BGP stuff that I've been talking
to") don't know.

In IPv6, people get worried about a drop of 50 prefixes from the table,
and investigate where 13 prefixes have gone to - thus noticing "funnies".

In IPv4, people have come to accept 190.000 pieces of crap, with LOTS
of noise due to "automated outgoing announcement changes for incoming
traffic engineering", and such, so it's very hard to really warrant
closely looking into "13 prefixes disappearing from the table".

So - it's possible that there are IPv4 ghosts, we don't know.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  92315

SpaceNet AG                    Mail: netmaster at Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14      Tel : +49-89-32356-0
D- 80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-234