IPv6 multihoming question

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Apr 18 16:46:06 CEST 2006

On 18-apr-2006, at 14:15, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> I look forward to the day that Microsoft enables ipv6 by default on
> NT-du-jour.  This is one of the few things which may actually make a
> serious difference to v6 deployment, because only will there be a
> large
> v6 install base.

Well, MacOS has had IPv6 enabled by default for years now. That
doesn't mean you actually get to use IPv6, because for that you also
need an IPv6 router on your subnet, which most people don't have.

In Windows, when you enable IPv6 this also enables 6to4 and Teredo,
so you can enjoy IPv6 connectivity without a local IPv6 router, but I
don't think enabling 6to4 by default and preferring it over IPv4 is a
good move, the 6to4 relays would melt within hours. (By the way, the
past weeks I discovered that in XP due to prefix policy issues IPv4
connectivity is preferred over 6to4 connectivity towards non-6to4
destinations.)

> Other than that, I can't really see any further
> serious drivers for v6 deployment other than imminent v4 address space
> starvation

Is that so terrible?