N reasons for not deploying ipv6 (was: Re: [narten@us.ibm.com:PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN])

Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 18 14:26:30 CEST 2006

> > That's a CGS we bought in 1989 though the original CSC/3 was replaced
> > with a CSC/4 taken out of a retired AGS+.
>
> I can only hope that these are display pieces in museum.ed.ac.uk? :-)

Good grief, no!  I refer the Honourable Usenaut to his own comments
about what to do with things which are not broken.

> Seriously, though, I'd suspect that by upgrading to newer smaller
> equipment, you'd save the capex price in a year or so purely in terms of
> electricity consumption.

That's a point I hadn't considered, but since services come out of a
different budget from equipment that would be complicated to justify.

I'm hanging on for a 20 year equipment lifetime, anyway.  :-)

Sam Wilson
Network Development Team, Infrastructure Services Division
Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK