N reasons for not deploying ipv6 (was: Re: [narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN])

Eric Klein ericlklein at softhome.net
Mon Apr 17 18:35:09 CEST 2006

Nick Hilliard wrote:
Subject: N reasons for not deploying ipv6 (was: Re: [narten at us.ibm.com: PI
addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN])

> There are lots of reasons, including but not limited to:

<snip>

> And of course, the primary reason: if the internet ain't broke, why do we
> need to fix it?

The numbering alone has been broken for more than 6 years, but in North
America and Europe this has been hidden by work arounds and over allotment
of addresses to the point that other countries are dying for addresses.

    For example, in spite of the fact that "school children in China are
literally starving for IP addresses; a school system with 60,000 schools (in
     2000) applied for IPv4 addresses and was awarded an entire Class C
network (just 254 actual IPv4 addresses for the many millions of
    children and teachers)" [1], and the fact that "China now has 111
million Internet users, second only to the United States" [2]

To me this counts as broken, the real question is "will IPv6 fix it, or is
it obsolete already?"

Notes:
  1.. Loshin , P. America's dangerous apathy for (yawn) IPv6, Boardwatch.
Golden (Jun 2000) Vol. 14, Iss. 6; 94-8
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=54160257&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=11914&RQT=309&VName=PQD,
last accessed 2/2/2006)
  2.. Xinhua News Agency, "China has 111 million Internet users", January
17, 2006 (last accessed 22/2/2006
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-01/17/content_4066612.htm )