Filters

leo vegoda leo at ripe.net
Wed May 25 14:37:03 CEST 2005

Hi,

On May 25, 2005, at 2:19 pm, Pim van Pelt wrote:

> Hi Leo,
>
> My attention was caught by this list of prefixes [my employer's]:
>
> | 2001:07b8::/35
> | 2001:07b8:2000::/35
> | 2001:07b8:4000::/34
> | 2001:07b8:8000::/33
> This is nl.bit and its numberplan goes way back [at least
> conceptually].
> IIRC these prefixes are not assignments, but allocations to fit a
> templating scheme I conjured up when we received the allocation.
>
> I cannot find these inet6nums in the RIPE database currently. Can you
> comment on how you got this information ? I'd like to clean up where
> possible, because we are not using this numberplan anymore currently.

I just pulled the numbers for nl.bit at random in an effort to
explain why the statistics show /33 and /34 prefixes as having been
allocated.

Those ranges are what we have recorded in our internal systems for
when we expanded the /35 to a /32 - we show each additional prefix
required to grow a /35 to a /32 as a separate allocation. We also do
the same thing when we expand an IPv4 /20 into a /19, /18 or whatever.

The only records for this growth are our internal files and the
published statistics (because they are based on that data). These
'interim' prefixes were never registered in the Whois database.

I hope this clarifies things.

Regards,

--
leo vegoda