Canarie / 2001:410::/32 (Was: Filters) (fwd)

James james at towardex.com
Wed May 25 04:23:40 CEST 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:25:05PM +0200, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

[ snip ]

> I can't currently see any decent service provided by Abilene. GEANT
> being the european REN isn't that much better.

Now that we are talking about RENs :)  One of the GEANT routing policies[1]
I've heard from several sources is that they will take commercial transit
(GBLX) for European v6 destinations, but yet, take Abilene for all non-EU
routes, i.e. US destinations.

While I agree that this may be a sane choice of policy, I would hope that
people understand that Abilene currently has capability to peer with
commercial/commodity v6 players in the west coast US only (PAIX-PA, and
possibly LAIIX/PacWave).  Being a US network myself, this gives me quite
*bad* routing to European NREN destinations for our end-users who reside
in the east coast of United States, while it is fine for west coast users,
as return packets from European RENs go all the way to west coast via
Abilene, then come back to east.

What is even more interesting is that this "take Abilene for US routes"
"policy" is not just GEANT only, it also seems to be exercised by regional
EU NRENs as well (i.e. SURFnet), even though such regional networks have
direct transit from C&W or other similar commodity transit.

[1]: Accuracy of this statement is not guaranteed and I may be wrong.
     So please feel free to correct as needed.

-J

--
James Jun
Infrastructure and Technology Services