New RIPE allocations outside 2001::/16 - filter update time!

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon May 2 17:16:48 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 02:53:13PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> >That works if your upstreams are regional tier3 ISPs, but most times
> >not with tier2 (as they are most often intercontinental) or above.
>
> What doesn't work in this case?? I don't understand what you're
> saying.

Your AMSIX peer may well have multihomed direct customers in Asia.
So you will receive them. Ergo you have to filter again if you don't
want to see those "far away" by prefix classification (RIR ranges).
You already entered into that discussion with Bernhard.

> Allowing all possible /48s out of all PA /32s and bigger just because
> the /32 might be down is a very bad idea because not only are you
> allowing unaggregatable PI (which is already very bad), but you're
> also setting yourself up for very big problems when people accidently
> deaggregate.

So we can agree that this kind of multihoming is wrong for two reasons:
it still keeps you hostage to one ISP and it cannot be filtered sanely
to make it work in all cases. ACK?

At least the second thing is an operational matter, so it's not totally
off-topic here. .-) But we still should avoid "The Great Multihoming
debate" here as far as possible. :-)

> Anyone in Sweden for the big fight?

NAK. Noone there to pay for the fun. Will probably stop by next
Amsterdam meeting.

Best regards,
Daniel