New RIPE allocations outside 2001::/16 - filter update time!

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Mon May 2 15:05:10 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 12:18:10PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:

Hi,

> - special exceptions for /48 microallocs have to be made

why would this be a problem?

> - poor man's multihoming (using more-specifics of PA aggregates) would
>   get hindered even more

Which is a good thing in my opinion. I want to be able to distinguish
between crap accidentally leaked and something which might be reasonable
announcement.

I might as well be killed for that idea, but I'd like to see a low-cost
small block IPv6 PI (/48 from a /something (/32?) reserved block) for
small charge (less than 200 EUR/year) to anyone who is requesting it.

It should be either charged from a supporting LIR or directly from the
owner with credit card (compare it to domains), but there should be no
discount as with the current RIPE score. If it isn't payed, it is
reclaimed. Still to see how to reclaim that space when the owner keeps
announcing it, but I think there are options (see bogon feeds for
example).

It would still force people doing reasonable ISP business to go for LIR
(/48 is too small if you want to give your customers "standard" network
size), it would still keep most kiddies with two IPv6-over-IPv4-over-
el-cheapo-DSL tunnels from doing multihoming just because it is l33t,
but it would allow small/medium companies or other entities where
renumbering is a hassle or real redundancy (with two physical lines) is
needed to use IPv6 as they do with IPv4 PI today.

I don't like this reflex heard often that the current model (pay for
LIR, then get IPv6 PA) is "money wins" (the often cited "pay to play").
Every additional prefix out there (doesn't matter if we are at 600
prefixes like today in IPv6, or 160000 as in IPv4) is an additional
burden on the routing structure. I don't like this to become free,
especially since you can today pollute IPv4 BGP with some thousand
prefixes even on an old and rusty 2500, as long as you don't import your
upstreams fulltable. Paying for it makes the people think about whether
they need it in the first place, and to return it if it is no longer
needed. You shouldn't get such a resource if you are just to lazy to
renumber ten office workstations and two servers once a year or because
you like being bleeding edge with your network setup.

> - filters need updating again as soon as PI is finally being approved
>   by the ISP communities

You cannot run an AS on autopilot. The few ones doing that are mostly
old 6bone tunneled ASNs where the tunnel router has been lost somewhere
in the raised floor. I don't consider that a problem.

> But I see the point that people are leaking more-specifics accidentally.
> Those can be contacted and educated though. Not an easy task, granted.

Good luck when IPv6 starts to fly and has several thousand prefixes in
the DFZ :-)

Bernhard, waiting for the flamewar to start