New RIPE allocations outside 2001::/16 - filter update time!

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon May 2 14:26:56 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 01:59:10PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> I think it makes sense to differentiate between accepting /48s from
> peers and accepting them from transits. I'd be happy to have a bunch
> of /48s in my routing table that make traffic towards people within
> the region flow more optimally, but I'm really not interested in /48s
> from multiple timezones away.

That works if your upstreams are regional tier3 ISPs, but most times
not with tier2 (as they are most often intercontinental) or above.

And doesn't work when the link between the /48 user and his uplink which
provides the IP space is down and you don't have the /48.

But all that is no news to anyone. :-)

So if you filter /48s from upstreams, you do degrade the multihomer to
singlehomer and just accept possible path optimizations (or DEgradations
actually).

Best regards,
Daniel