IPv6 traffic metering

Kurt Jaeger lists at complx.LF.net
Thu Jun 9 17:58:32 CEST 2005

[using ip6fw to count]
> >- This only counts.
>
> >For v4, we have some sort of hourly traffic matrices (which is
> >useful in case of backtracking problems). We'd like to use
> >flow data to be able to have this kind of backtracking
> >also for v6.
>
> Not sure what you mean, but obviously you store the counters in a
> file or database periodically.

Yes. Something like

source       dest            bytes packets
212.9.190.63 213.209.108.155 2144 23
82.185.97.58 212.9.190.63 300 5
80.174.98.138 212.9.190.63 144 3
67.18.120.34 212.9.190.63 2372 6
[...]

That's not flow-based, but just an hourly dump of the traffic
the interface has seen during the last hour.

For v6, I'd like to have some flow-based approach.

I'll investigate the suggestions from the list. If I find something,
I'll summarise.

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger                                  15 years to go !
LF.net GmbH        fon +49 711 90074-23  pi at LF.net