abilene -> he.net routing humor

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Jun 6 19:37:07 CEST 2005

On 6-jun-2005, at 19:27, Daniel Roesen wrote:

>> I'm sorry, but I really don't understand any of that.

>> All I know is that when I connect to a research IPv6 network (which
>> often happens at IETF meetings), I have huge difficulties connecting
>> to my stuff at home.

> Eric's point is that it isn't Abilene's business to provide global
> transit, but only an infrastructure between the connected members.
> The "research IPv6 network" you connect to at IETF meetings should
> have some IPv6 transit independent of Abilene.

> Unfortunately, this doesn't really reflect reality out there,
> especially
> not in the US. Some European NRENs do have commercial transits, but
> most use GEANT/DANTE for that - which is also a... touchy topic.
>
> So either Abilene shuts down the transits taken from KREONET2 and APAN

Right. They can't have it both ways. Either they accept the fact that
they do provide transit and start working on improvements, or they
implement their policy and cut off all forms of de facto transit.

> and thus force all connected RENs to look for transit elsewhere, or
> get at least one sane transit somewhere in the US instead. This would
> fix the odd routing problems we observe every now and then.

If they accept that they provide transit for research networks
another option would be to start peering with important commercial
IPv6 transit providers.