dead horse: ip6.int vs ip6.arpa

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Tue Jul 5 04:06:02 CEST 2005

On 4 Jul 2005, at 17:25, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:

> 	So I came across this draft whilst debuggging an IPv6 DNS problem:
>
> http://unfix.org/~jeroen/archive/drafts/draft-massar-v6ops-ip6int-
> removal-00.html
>
> 	Are we still slothing towards ip6.arpa, or is ip6.int it right now,
> or both?

There are still some old resolver libraries that use ip6.int. New code
uses ip6.arpa, however, which has been the Right Thing for some time.

ip6.int has been effectively deprecated for some time, however, by
virtue of the fact that the RIRs are not doing delegations under it to
correspond to RIR-allocated space. All the RIR delegations for
number-to-name lookups happen under ip6.arpa.

The short answer is "ip6.int is dead, use ip6.arpa".

draft-huston-ip6-int-03, "Deprecation of ip6.int" has been in the IESG
queue for some time, heading for BCP. The status on that draft last
changed on Canada Day this year to "Waiting for AD Go-Ahead".

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?
command=view_id&dTag=12556&rfc_flag=0>

Joe