[Fwd: [OCCAID] Advisory: Extended Community bit crashing Quagga and Zebra BGPd]

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Wed Dec 21 10:02:52 CET 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Roger Jorgensen wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Andrew Alston wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> It appears Extended Community bit used for MPLS VPN, when improperly set,
>>> crashes Quagga version 0.96.5, Zebra versions 0.93 through 0.94 running on
>>> FreeBSD 5.x and 6.0 platforms.

>> think you maybe can add Linux to that OS list, have had some strange
>> crashed on my bgpd/zebra the last week without any reasons, upgraded to
>> the newest quagga and have been stable since.

MPLS AFI support is known to be incomplete and broken in GNU Zebra
and Quagga.

Extended community in IPv{4,6}/unicast is supposed to work at least.

> I am pretty sure it is a Quagga/Zebra issue. GRH also encountered this
> (which explains the empty notifications for the ones who are wondering)
> A similar debug dump on that platform. Upgraded to 0.98.5 and all is
> fine now.

Can you confirm you have received routes with extended-community
attributes? Ie that 0.98.5 fixes this issue? (I'm not sure where
along the 0.97 development series any such extended-community problem
would have been fixed though - been a while).

If so, sounds like an advisory should be issued for older Quagga and
GNU Zebra.

Thanks.

regards,
Fortune:
An aphorism is never exactly true; it is either a half-truth or
one-and-a-half truths.
 		-- Karl Kraus