Ghost route 2001:650::/32

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Dec 13 15:38:41 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 03:24:43PM +0100, Udo Steinegger wrote:
> Nevertheless it still circles around in the DFZ with AS1273 being the
> source, with pathes like this:
> 14277 4725 2497 1273
>
> I have checked with AS2497. They do not get the prefix from AS1273.
> So the ghost route must be between Japan Telecom and Nokio.

It's also possible that 2497 is ghosting. The well-known IOS bug is that
it forgets to actually send a withdrawl, so 2497 can have a perfectly
fine IBGP without 2001:650::/32 origin 1273, but 4725 might still see
the prefix coming from 2497 as the withdrawl wasn't sent by 2497.

4725 should check to see wether they have the prefix with 1273 origin
from 2497. If so, we know who's ghosting (2497). Another way to find out
would be for 2497 to hard bounce the BGP session(s) to 4725. If the
ghost is gone then, it was also 2497. :-)

BTW, APNIC doesn't return the AS4725 aut-num:

% [whois.apnic.net node-2]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

as-block:     AS4608 - AS4864
descr:        APNIC ASN block
remarks:      These AS numbers are further assigned by APNIC
remarks:      to APNIC members and end-users in the APNIC region

> Hopefully there are people from both companies on this list and can
> hunt this down and clean up on their side.

Nokia is here (David Kessens and others), not sure about Japan Telecom.

Best regards,
Daniel