IPv6 Address Planning

Roger Jorgensen rogerj at jorgensen.no
Wed Aug 10 13:10:36 CEST 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> On Tue Aug 09, 2005 at 09:11:36PM +0200, Roger Jorgensen wrote:
> > Would strongly suggest you forget the idea of using /80 and /112, don't
> > use anything smaller than /64. You might not see the need for it now but
> > experience have thought me to respect the /64 boundary.
>
> Okay, I'm sticking to /64 for everything (except /128 loopbacks), but I'm
> interested to know why you say experience told you to avoid non-/64's?

old story really but when I started out I didn't really see the need for
using a /64 for p2p links, or even a /112 or /126. So at some point they
introduced anycast (think that's the name) and my usage of /127 gave me a
nice /dev/null feature for all those links :} Fixed it by adding a /128
for each of the IPs in the /127... I'm quite sure more of these type of
features/changes will arrive in the future.

and as I said in a private mail to Cody, wouldn't surprise me if some
vendor start to use 64bits uniq ID for interfaces or other places and
then all of your p2p links needs to be redone. Not really likely but who
knows?

--

Roger Jorgensen              |
http://www.jorgensen.no      | roger at jorgensen.no