IPv6 Address Planning

Jørgen Hovland jorgen at hovland.cx
Wed Aug 10 10:09:58 CEST 2005

If a /64 can contain a single user but also 25000 users, then I am sure you
all will agree on that this will affect the transition from existing v4
services to v6.
When it comes to implementing restrictions and limitations on your services,
statistics, classification (for banners/ads etc) and so on, you will most
likely be forced to treat a /64 as 1 user and not 25k.
The people using /112 are already doomed due to this "greediness".
Note that I do not have a suggestion to how it should be and I am not sure
if there should be any, but if the only reason for this addressing scheme is
to ease the subnetting then you obviously have a problem with your existing
addressing system and should take measures to improve it instead. As a
suggestion, perhaps you want something like this:

# ./allocate 2001:293a:83:: /84 92833477
Finding a free /84 from within the subnet
> 2001:293a:83::/40 (Slot #2)
>> 2001:293a:83::/48 (POP #138)
>>> 2001:293a::/32 (My ISP AG)
please hold...

2001:293a:83:0:c939::0/84 has been allocated to customer ID 92833477
(Netsystems AG), whois updated

And then you add it in bgp, static route or whatever.

Maybe we should be more concerned about how it will affect our existing
services when switching them over to v6 rather than making what seems to be
an easy addressing plan at first glance. It's not like you are going to
remember all your addressing schemes anyway, are you?

Jørgen Hovland ENK