IPv6 Address Planning

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Aug 10 07:03:48 CEST 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Sander Steffann wrote:
>> Within these /80's are individual /112's for PTP links.
>
> Why use a /112 for point-to-point links? The only reference I can find is
> rfc3627, and that one does not really seem to advise to use a /112 except
> when using a /64 is not possible... So I am curious about why a /112 is used.

FWIW, IMHO there's little difference between a /64 and /112
_technically_.

We ended up using /112's in our backbone because we wanted to create a
nice "mapping" mechanism, where we encode the region of the pop, the
pop itself, and the sequence number of the router in the pop in the
prefix.  Just by looking at a p2p link prefix, I can see the routers
which it connects.  As DNS exists for reverse lookups, I don't think
this is necessary, but we felt this provided some value, so we ended
up using /112's.