IPv6 Address Planning

James james at towardex.com
Wed Aug 10 02:37:03 CEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 03:10:50PM -0600, Cody Lerum wrote:
> The idea was to stay on a boundary for ease of subnetting, as well as
> provide aggregation via /112's within /80's.
>
> /64's are possible, but will require burning a /48 for each Distribution
> site, and I was trying to reserve /48 level assignments for downstream
> organizations. While also only utilizing a /48 for my organization.
>
> Seemed to make sense to me, but this is my first run at a v6 addressing
> plan.
>
> -C

Honestly, /112 vs. /64 to me is just "do whatever is comfortable for you and
your team the most" issue.  At first one can do a design that will take into
consideration of aggregation in routing as much as possible, but at the end of
the day, in my experience, route aggregation at least in my internal iBGP and
IGP table do not seem to be causing too much scalability problems than
expected, that just assigning /64s in a clean manner is simpler for us..

One can also say, "why not use /126 if you are really going point to point?"
To me, personally (and this is just me by the way), a /126 makes more sense
than a /112 for PTP links.  But by the same token, given that "/64 is what is
considered a subnet in IPv6" tradition still remains popular, we still remain
to use /64s at this time.  I guess it does not hurt to reserve another /48
for switchover to /126 if need be in the future ;)

James

--
James Jun
Infrastructure and Technology Services