Consensus on MHAP/v6 Multi-homing

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Apr 20 20:19:47 CEST 2005

--On Wednesday, April 20, 2005 18:33 +0100 Cameron Gray
<cgray at netegral.co.uk> wrote:

> Well at least I've proved to myself that I'm not the only one stuck in
> this quagmire.

No, you're not.  Until IPv6 gains multi-homing and PI space it can't
replace IPv4.  The internet is not hierarchical.  Never really has been,
and it's even less so now in this age.  A number of sites I maintain
multi-home only for redundancy, but having even five minutes of outage to
propagate DNS changes is completely unacceptable, so they advertise space
via both uplinks.  The other issue is that all in-progress connections are
broken if you change endpoint addresses (for whatever reason) on a live
site.  This might not be a big deal for a number of different types of
things but think of a large IRC server eh?  (yeah yeah I know, let the
kiddies reconnect, but there are legitimate uses for IRC).

> I've joined in the discussion on address-policy-wg at RIPE, so we'll see

I'm not sure what to do myself.  I also don't have time to do it really.
and I don't fully understand all of the options being presented to the IPv6
WGs and standards bodies.  I'm very concerned that my concerns will end up
in a minority in the standards bodies and thus not necessarily be
fully...er, mind the pun as it's not really intended... addressed.

--
GPG/PGP --> 0xE736BD7E 5144 6A2D 977A 6651 DFBE 1462 E351 88B9 E736 BD7E