Consensus on MHAP/v6 Multi-homing

marcelo bagnulo braun marcelo at it.uc3m.es
Wed Apr 20 18:13:59 CEST 2005

El 20/04/2005, a las 17:56, Jeroen Massar escribió:

> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 17:31 +0200, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
>> El 20/04/2005, a las 17:14, Jeroen Massar escribió:
>
>> agree
>> but i guess that DNS servers won't be using shim to obtain multihoming
>> support, but they will use the DNS protocol redundancy features
>> instead
>> (multiple records with the different addresses available for the
>> server) (besides, doesn't make much sense to run a 4 way handshake to
>> exchange a single packet DNS query i guess)
>
> The whole goal of multihoming is being independent of upstream address
> space isn't it ?

not really, at least that is not what is included in the RFC 3582.
The goals of multihoming are basically redundancy and traffic
engineering mainly... (most of all redundancy w.r.t different types of
outages)

PI is a different issue, i guess

> Scenario, we are example.com and have 2 upstreams, thus 2x /48 and
> those
> are 2001:db8::/32 from the IPv6-Doc prefix and 3ffe:ffff::/48 out of
> the
> 6bone test/play/doc prefix. We have our example.com domain, where our
> web&smtp&etc-server resides at our shim6'd addresses.

sorry, what is a shim6 address?
As i understand it, any prefix can be used in shim...

>  We can't shim6 our
> DNS/shim6-directory server because of cyclic redundancy, thus we have
> in
> DNS:
>
> ns1.example.com AAAA 2001:0db8::53
> ns1.example.com AAAA 3ffe:ffff::53

agree
but i fail to see the reasoning below... perhaps is that we do not have
the same idea about what is the shim, perhaps?

regards, marcelo