Consensus on MHAP/v6 Multi-homing

marcelo bagnulo braun marcelo at it.uc3m.es
Wed Apr 20 16:50:18 CEST 2005

Hi Jeroen,

El 20/04/2005, a las 12:29, Jeroen Massar escribió:

> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 11:01 +0100, Cameron Gray wrote:
>> OK,
>>
>> I'm starting to see MHAP as one giant leap backwards.  It simply
>> appears
>> to be public -> public NAT for multi-homed /48s.
>
> If you s/MHAP/shim6/ (MHAP proposal does not really exist any more) and
> indeed that is what it is. Basically a double NAT with public, globally
> unique, address space on both sides of the NAT, which takes care of the
> problem with the current RFC1918+NAT problem, the biggest of which is
> not the NAT it self but the non-uniqueness of the addresses. The double
> NAT takes care that apps can still use the public address inside the
> protocol, eg as with ftp or h323 and it won't be hurt by the shim.

agree

>>   It doesn't help for
>> example with DNS where you want multipath over x providers.
>
> Most likely shim6 will depend on some sort of directory and this
> directory will not be able to live easily inside a shim area.

i fail to see what directory are you talking about here...
I mean AFAIU, shim will use the DNS to obtain addresses, just as it is
done today, no changes to that, or are you thinking about other
directory service?

> Fun part is that people will most likely want rapid updates for their
> shim6-mappings, at a certain point one will then simply have an overlay
> BGP network with all the routes in it too. One can drop the ASPATH
> partially then though, one only needs it to check for loops.

I fail to understand what are considering here... The changes in the
locator set of a shim context will be done through the shim protocol
between the end nodes involved in the communication, right? so, what is
BGP and overlay come into this?

Regards, marcelo